Thursday, June 5, 2008

So, I sort of have a thing for Iceland

For a while, I've been in the process of saving jpegs of ads that I like. They give me great concepting and art direction ideas, but probably more importantly they inspire me. Some ads I really like are these 66°North ads by Icelandic Ad Agency, JÓNSSON and LE'MACKS, and photographed by Ari Magg. They won EPICA Gold and Silver awards 2005 and 2006 and several Icelandic gold awards for creative excellence.

"Keeping Iceland Warm since 1926."



I love the quote directly from the 66°North website about these ads: "Why are the models not smiling in the ads? Our ads come directly out of Iceland and are 100% authentic. Our award winning advertising group has won multiple EPICA awards for the unique, stark 66°North, ads. Although they don't seem happy - we promise they are smiling inside and love what they are wearing."

And another interesting one: "Being isolated, Icelanders are artistically creative and independent thinkers. Our newly hired Icelandic ad agency won the EPICA award in Europe – this is equivalent to the CLIO awards in the U.S. – for our unexpected ads with a tinge of Icelandic fortitude and style…this type of independent spirit is reflected in our brand’s use of innovative new materials like eVENT, creating what I call a ‘Matrix Coat' out of Polartec’s Wind Pro Light and tailored, yet athletic signature designs."

Makes sense especially since I see the same artistic, creative, independent spirit in the music of Sigur Ros. Definitely impressed with the advertising, photography and music coming out of Iceland. Perhaps, I should move there!

No comments: