Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Worst Commercial Ever

I was asked the other day what I think the worst commercial I've ever seen is. Now, of course, there are numerous really bad ones. Everyone has their own personal worst. There's the really bad Kia one where a choir is singing about being part of the rainbow. Or, the weird one and revolting one where stomachs are talking to you. Yet, for me, the worst hands down are the Quiznos commercials with the furry, rat-like things (I know these creatures have a specific name, but frankly I don't care). These ads are fairly old in ad terms, but they left such a bad feeling with me that I still shudder at the thought of them.

In the hopes of full disclosure, anyone who knows me even semi-well knows of my weird hatred for sandwiches. It's a well known fact that I buy into the idea of separate but equal with my sandwiches and will eat each element separately if given a chance. And before anyone asks, of course there are exceptions, but they are few and far between. However, this dislike of sandwiches did not fuel my immense hatred for these commercials.

First of all, how could any food establishment especially a fast food one think it's a good idea to have singing rat-like creatures in their ads? I mean seriously now I think: "Oh, Quiznos that's the rat food place." In fact, I've been unable to eat food from there since the ads aired. Second, the rat things are the most obnoxious things I've seen in years. These characters come from a man named Joel Veitch, who makes television shows for Britain's Channel 4 (according to his Web site, www.rathergood.com). However, that doesn't explain why any ad agency or more importantly, food establishment would want to use them. Just so everyone understands, I've included the ads below.


2 comments:

Cassie said...

OMG..thank you for that!

Eric Hayward said...

Hey Judy - love it. I have my own list here: gda.blogspot.com